Install flooring system (CPCCCA3003A)
Sycon Secura interior flooring sheets are 2700 x 600 x 19mm. Sheets are fixed over joists spaced at 450mm centres. How many of these sheets would be required for a domestic dwelling with a floor area of 200 square metres?
- Refer to the SikaBond PVA product data sheet and SDS to complete questions 2, 3 and 4
Residential timber for framed construction As 1684
- Which part of the BCA outlines the performance requirements regarding protection from the spread of fire?
P2.3.1 the performance requirement is outlined for the protection from the spread of fire.
- What safety measures need to be taken when handling SikaBond PVA? Outline 4.
- Standard hygiene measures should be followed when handling chemical products
- Local exhaust ventilation is provided
- Chemical resistance, impervious gloves should be worn all time when chemical product is handled
- Safety eyewear should be used
- As work progresses, more risks and hazards present themselves. What measures can be put in place for your own protection, and warn and protect other workers and home owners from these risks and hazards? Give 4 examples.
Following are the examples:
- The first example is Yellow caps
- Second is Barrier tape
- Signage is the third example
- The fourth one is Fencing or hoarding
- Sub floor framing for domestic construction is commonly constructed with stumps, bearers and joists. What plant, tools and equipment could be selected to perform this task? List 10
- Nail gun
- Spirit level
- Floor champs
- String lines
- Power saws
- Describe the checks performed on the tools and equipment before starting the job.
It should be made sure that the tools and equipment which is being used is appropriate for the work. Also check that all the tools and equipment are also working and there is any fault, it must be reported.
- How is the length and bevel of herringbone struts determined?
From joist tops, Herringbone struts are fixed 12mm down and 12 mm up from the bottom. Measure the joist depth and deduct the above 12+12+24mm, for obtaining the length and bevels
- What is ant capping?
It is a kind of physical barrier that termites floors framing timer. It is specially designed for forcing the termites and are made out of galvanised sheet metal
- Why is it recommended that Tung oil be applied to the surface floor as opposed to polyurethanes?
The normal expansion and contraction can be prevented of individual boards that results in uneven or unsightly cracking.
- Refer to the SikaBond PVA product data sheet and SDS to complete questions 11, 12 and 13.
PVA can be used on following substrates:
- Timber MDF
- Particle board
- Ply woods
- Provide 5 examples of underfloor insulation.
The following are the examples of underfloor insulation:
- Build blanket
- Reflective zigzag foil sheets
- Fiberglass bulk insulation
- Insulation batts
- Rigid polystyrene boards
- How should empty containers of SikaBond PVA be disposed of?
For an approved waste handling site, empty containers should be for recycling or disposal.
- When constructing sub floor framing for a house which will have floorboards (fitted floor), where should double joists be located?
Under the walls, double joist should be located
- What 3 checks need to be carried out on the supporting structure, i.e. stumps, posts or piers, before the installation of bearers?
Following are the checks that needs to be carried out:
- The first is Inline Level
- Second is Back filled, and
- The last is, Should be level
- If bearer material is to be cut or lengths need to be joined, where should these cuts or joins be located?
Over a support, joints should be located
- In 6 steps, documents the process to lay bearers?
- On tops of base walls or piers, Fit ant capping DPC or required flashings
- Check that the tops of base walls columns or piers are terminating at the correct heights
- Lay bearers or saw stools and square their ends . Prepare end joint scarfs or halving if required
- Mark off the positions where any anchor bolts pass through the bearers and drill holes
- For checking that the top edge is in alignment, Lay the outside bearers
- Between the two bearers stretch the sting lines, and install the intermediate bearers to the string line.
- What is placed between timber members such as bearers and brick piers?
A damp proof course (DPC)
- Describe the process to fix a timber bearer to a concrete stump?
Through following process timber bearer can be fixed
- It can be fixed through Drill hole
- Install ant cap will also help in fixing it
- Another way of fixing timer bearer for concrete stump is Insert rod
- Chisel rebate is also helpful in fixing timber bearer
- Bend rod over is yet another useful process
- in 4 simple steps, detail the procedure for laying floor joists?
- Joist positions on the bearers needs to be marked
- Joists and fit blocking should be fixed
- Level the joists
- Place joists in position for fixing
- Timber members, such as bearers and joists, need to be selected for length and straightness. How should ‘bows’ in these members be treated?
In order to level them out straight, the bows should face up
- How can joists be fastened? Identify 3 ways.
Joist can be fastened in following three ways:
- Joist straps
- Triple grips
- Skew nailed
- What is a ‘deep joist’?
Where the height of joist exceeds 4 times the width. It should be restrained from rolling over. Between the joist spacing, the blocking is required.
- List 2 strutting methods.
The 2 strutting methods are:
- One is Herringbone strutting, and
- Second is Solid Blocking
- How is the length and bevel of herringbone struts determined?
Herringbone struts from the joists tops are fixed 12mm down and 12mm up from the bottoms. For obtaining the length and bevel, measure the depth of the joist and deduct the above. The spacing between the joists on the lower edge of the body should be marked.
- How are the struts secured?
It is a line of spring through the top edges of joists and the line is squared down of both sides of each joists.
- What is the purpose of a ‘trimmer’?
Timer or metal beam is a trimmer, in light-frame construction, that is used in creation of an opening around a stairwell or chimney. It is installed parallel to the primary floor.
- What is the difference between platform flooring and cut-in flooring?
- PLATFORM FLOORING: it is a system where the joists are fastened into position and flooring is fitting. It is a common method as it is easier and safer.
- CUT-IN FLOORING: it involves the construction of floor frame and placement of wall framing on the joists.
- There are 2 main types of flooring: sheet flooring and strip flooring. Briefly describe the types of materials used in each and how they are fastened?
- From particle board or plywood sheet, sheet flooring is constructed. It is usually fastened with nail gun.
- Strip flooring is made from the pieces of solid timer. It is sometimes done, so that the finished product is clear.
- Provide an example of when strip flooring is generally used?
There are different kinds of flooring in different areas. It is used where the surface is the desired finish. It is costly to install.
- How do you calculate the quantity of flooring required?
The floor quantity is calculated, depending on whether flooring is sheet. It can be order by the square meter. The supplier will work out the number of sheets that are based on the available sizes of the sheets.
- In 4 steps. Detail the procedure to lay sheet flooring?
- joists tops true and it should be checked
- Spring a chalk line across the joist tops and through the length of the floor one sheet width in from one edge.
- The sheet should lay the correct side up in alignment with the chalk line.
- Sheet excess may overheat on one side and edge.
- Detail 3 step procedure to xlay T&G flooring?
- Between the first board and the wall, there should be a gap of 10 mm. The first row of board should be fastened to a chalk line driving nails.
- Against the first board, four or five row of board should be laid. Ensure that the before the nailing the boards are tight.
- When laying the last board on a cut-in floor, between the board and the wall plate there should be a gap of 10mm by using the pinch bar. By using a pinch bar the last board should be tighten.
- Refer to the SikaBond PVA product data sheet and SDS to complete questions 34 and 35.
The material will last for at least 12 months. It should be stored in cool and dry place with maximum 25 conditions.
- Discuss the clean-up process conducting once the floor framing has been installed.
When the tool is involved in the construction of the floor, then the process of floor framing process is finished
Make sure that the floor is clear
Sharpen the metal blade. Ensure that there is a room form the wall frame construction. Make sure that the floor is clear.
- Variations to the composition of a subfloor is to be determined by the load-bearing requirements and the design. Which Australian Standard are these requirements outlined in