Carry out setting out (CPCCCA3002A)
- What type of documentation is required to be used when setting out?
Following documentation is require to be used:
- Saddle profiles can be used
- We can also use Site Plans
- House plans and specifications can be used as well
- Define the following terms.
Contour lines: It is an imaginary level line. It represents humps and hollows, rise and fall on the surface of the earth
Contour interval: It is a vertical distance or the difference between the contour lines
Datum: It is fixed point, where elevation point is known.
Benchmark: Chiselled horizontal, is where from it is originated. It marks the surveyors that is made in stone structure.
Reduced level (RL): The elevation point that is above or below a known point.
- What does ‘setting out’ the site entail?
The first step is the process of setting building or block of land. Any work that will be done will become fixed on the land and will not be removed. It becomes important that the accuracy and care continue to be exercised.
- List 6 pieces of information that can be obtained from a site plan.
Following information can be obtained:
- First we can obtain Buildings
- Second is Roads
- We can also obtain, Sidewalks and paths/trails
- Drainage facilities
- Sanitary sewer lines
- What can a builder do to ensure the construction site is safe for visitors? Provide 5 examples.
- Through alarms, motion sensors, fencing, or other building enclosures job site can be controlled.
- Safety hazards should be corrected if it is possible, extra protection should be implemented in the areas where the visitors could hurt.
- Cover the holes in the floor or ground should be covered or fenced – make sure they're visible.
- Exits on balconies, higher floors, or roofs should be marked and fenced or otherwise enclosed.
- Require visitors to wear any safety equipment you deem necessary for the nature of the job site, such as hard hats and protective vests.
- List 3 signs that may be found on a site that is at the set-out stage.
- The first sign is Danger sings
- Restricted Area signs can also be found on a site
- Multiple condition sing is the another sign
- List 2 tools used to create a hurdle profile.
Following are the tools that can be used to create a hurdle profile:
- Outline 3 ways in which serious faults can be reported.
Serious faults can be reported in following three ways:
- The first is Lock out tagging
- Another is Verbally inform the supervisor
- We can also report fault through Record it on maintenance logbook
- How would you go about calculating the number of pegs and lengths of timber you will need to set out a site?
There are how many edges or the angle that is 90 degree on the site plan should be checked. 2 profile is needed by each edge and 2 pegs is needed by 1 profile.
- List 3 materials required for setting out procedures.
- Timber is required for setting out the procedure
- For setting out the procedure Nails are also needed
- String line is also required
- What is the difference between the following types of pegs? What is each used for?
Indicator survey pegs–the most common type of hardwood is Indicator survey pegs which is used at development sites.
Boundary Survey Pegs–for marking new boundaries Boundary pegs are needed. Point,paint and chamfer are included in this peg.
- What are the potential environmental hazards on a building site? List 6.
The potential environmental hazards are:
- Fire is the environmental hazard on a building site
- The another hazard is Pollution
- Noise pollution is also a hazard
- Dust is also an environmental hazard
- Another environmental hazard is Chemical spills
- Electrical hazards is also included in environmental hazard
- Mark the following features on the site plan on the next page:
- True of false. The side boundary that is first set up is the fixed marker that should not be adjusted for the rest of the set out.
The answer is True
- Where you set the string lines to identify site boundaries will depend on what? List 5 factors.
- Lot’s shape
- Proposed building position
- On the existing boundary line, the buildings are built.
- Fences on the boundary line of adjacent lots
- Obstacles like trees or existing structures
- Place the following setting out steps in the correct order.
3- Construct profiles for first side of the building
- Set accurate line for side of the building
4- Set other profiles in place
- Estimate and peg out corners of the building
- When setting out a building, it is usual to start with a square or relatively square corner. Explain how setting out can be achieved using the following methods.
Method - Step by step process
Fixed type builders square- Against the building line, square should be placed. On peg “A”, right angled end should be made
- How far do hurdles/profiles need to be set from the construction outline, and why?
Footing system needs to be set, before it can be constructed. Building hurdles/ profiles needs to be involved and string lines should be used for marking the outside perimeter of the construction excavations can take place if there points are set. Underground plumbing can be installed by the plumber.
- List 5 factors that will determine the type of footing that needs to be used when setting out.
- Depth should be adequate.
- There should be Bearing capacity failure.
- Settlement should be done
- Quality is the factor that will be determined
- Strength should be adequate
- List 5 factors that will determine where you end up setting your stringlines?
- The shape of the lot
- The position of the proposed building
- Buildings built on the existing boundary line on adjacent lots
- Fences on the boundary line of adjacent lots
- Obstacles such as trees or existing structures
- How can you use the 3 4 5 rule in order to determine the corner of a building?
For getting a perfectly square corner, one must focus on the measurement ratio of 3:4:5. It will be a perfect square corner if all the measurements are correct.
- How can a right angle be established?
A measuring tape, two ranging poles, pegs and three persons are required, for setting the right angels in the field.
A triangle with the lengths of 3 m, 4 m and 5 m is formed, when all sides of the tape are stretched.
- Find the length of ‘x’.
X= 12.21 m
- What is the distance a building line that is set back from the standard shape known as?
Building Setback Line Front means there is establishment of space that is to be provided between the front lines of the building
- If adjustments have been made to stringlines, what do you need to do with all of the measurements?
If on any of the stringlines, the adjustments are made during the setting of the procedure. Then there should be rechecking of all the measures for making sure that the dimensions of proposed building shall remain in accordance with the site drawing
- When taking measurements, where do they need to be taken in order for them to be accurate?
- One or more known standard should be acquired from a source that is reliable.
- Measuring process should run by using the instrument.
- What is the process for establishing straight lines on steel pins?
With intermediate pins, set out the straight line with intermediate pins. Firstly the start and end pins are positioned, between the two, the string line will be pulled tight and then pins are established. If the line is not touched by the pin then this will lead to a ‘dog-leg.’
- Once the initial rectangular shape has been completed, it must be checked to ensure that the set-out is square; that is, the corners are at 90°, and the measurements are correct. How do you do this?
Diagonal distance should be compared between the corners.
- Why is it important to check that the building lines are square?
Building something square is essential. Square means, for example, that the deck are of 90 degrees. The floor if not framed in square, then the subfloor section will not line up.
- Once all hurdles, set out pegs etc. have been installed and checked for accuracy, how is the work area left at the end of the day? List 5 points.
- By putting the barricades, close the work area
- For determining the boundaries, paint should be marked or sprayed
- Ensure that there is proper attachment of strings and hurdles and pegs are tight
- Material, tools should be gathered and cleaned.
- Areas should be cleaned and cut off material needs to be removed.
- When inspecting tools and equipment for faults, what 3 things are you looking for?
- Safetyguard needs to be checked
- Brokenparts should be checked
- Ensure to tag thepowertools
- Outline the 4 care and maintenance requirements of measuring tools.
- On retractable tape measures, don'tberoughwiththebladeortapehousing
- In the tape measure, don’t left the sand or dirt as this will damage the equipment.
- Tape measures or rulers should not left lying for longer period in the direct sunlight, as this can lead to buckle or degrade.
- In wet conditions, usage of tape measures should be avoided. If it can’t be avoided make sure to wipe it with a cloth that is oily.